Music Discovery Monday – 2/20/17
Music Discovery Monday shines a light on artists that are not getting the radio attention that they deserve, while also showcasing new singles by established bands that are likely to get airplay in the future.
In addition to appearing on the embedded YouTube playlist below, all songs featured on Music Discovery Monday can be listened to individually by clicking on the hyper-linked song titles above each review.
ADAM WALDMAN – (Publisher/Editor, Hard Rock Daddy)
GRUMPYNATORS – “Take The Last Dance With Me”
“Danish Motorbilly” – now there’s a genre that you don’t hear much about (because it was most likely coined by Denmark’s Grumpynators). When you listen to “Take The Last Dance With Me,” you’ll understand why the band needed to create their own sub-genre of rock.
Although their sound is vastly different, you can hear the influence of the most well-known band coming out of Denmark these days – Volbeat. The band features former members and crew from Taggy Jones and Volbeat. They also supported Michael Poulsen and company on tour.
Grumpynators cite a number of artists spanning a wide spectrum as their influences on their Facebook page: Motorhead, Metallica, Twisted Sister, Social Distortion, Megadeth, Volbeat, Ramones and ‘40s/’50s Country and Rockabilly. A handful of these jump out at you on “Take The Last Dance With Me,” making for a unique, entertaining, high-energy mix that leaves you tapping your feet and moving your head along to the beat.
PRIDE OF LIONS – “All I See Is You”
You may not know Jim Peterik by name, but it’s almost impossible not to be familiar with his work. In addition to being responsible for Survivor’s greatest hits during his time as the band’s guitarist/songwriter, he also penned classics such as Sammy Hagar’s “Heavy Metal,” .38 Special’s “Hold On Loosely” and a number of other songs from well-known artists.
In 2003, Peterik formed Pride Of Lions with Toby Hitchcock. According to Peterik, Pride Of Lions is…“my vision of the best elements of the great melodic rock era of the ‘80s updated with more modern production sounds.” That is exactly what Pride Of Lions delivers with “All I See Is You,” from their latest album, Fearless. If you are a fan of feel-good ‘80s hard rock, this track will take you back to a time when the world felt like a happier place.
ANDY CHEUNG – HRD Music Scout
OVERKILL – “Goddamn Trouble”
From their latest release, The Grinding Wheel, this classic thrash metal band from New Jersey is back. “Goddamn Trouble” is legendary Overkill…speed punk and thrash metal roots. Bobby Blitz screams with wild abandon just as well now as he did 30 years ago. Being one of the oldest thrash bands around – even before the “Big Four” – Overkill remains one of the most legendary and influential thrash bands in history. Even after all these years, the band’s sound has remained true.
KREATOR – “Fallen Brother”
Kreator is another old school thrash metal band that has been around since the ‘80s. One of the pioneering bands of the death metal and black metal genres, the band has evolved and changed over the years. Their latest album, Gods of Violence, retains the speed and heaviness from their early days. Even with their dark, evil messages and lyrical content, “Fallen Brother” pays homage to departed musicians and artists who were big influences of the band. Watch the video and see how many faces you recognize. Thrash metal is alive and well in 2017!
ROB DELL’AQUILA – HRD Music Scout
BLOODBOUND – “Battle In The Sky”
Swedish power metal giants Bloodbound return with their seventh studio album, War of Dragons, (due out at the end of this week). It’s another fine entry into the genre, with blazing twin guitars, some amazing choral arrangements and powerful vocals by Patrik J. Selleby.
CRYSTAL VIPER – “When The Sun Goes Down”
Crystal Viper is a female-fronted Polish metal band that delivers some heavy (but always melodic) music. They were formed in 2003 by vocalist Marta Gabriel and released their debut album in 2007. They have just released Queen of the Witches, their ninth album in only ten years.
To be considered for Music Discovery Monday, please e-mail a link to the song being submitted on YouTube and an artist bio to – submissions@MusicDiscoveryMonday.com
Top 50 Hard Rock Albums of 2016 compiled by Nielsen SoundScan and ranked by sales data.
- DISTURBED – Immortalized
- FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH – Got Your Six
- TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA – Letters From The Labyrinth
- SHINEDOWN – Threat To Survival
- MEGADETH – Dystopia
- DEFTONES – Gore
- SKILLET – Unleashed
- VOLBEAT – Seal The Deal & Let’s Boogie
- PIERCE THE VEIL – Misadventures
- BREAKING BENJAMIN – Dark Before Dawn
- A DAY TO REMEMBER – Bad Vibrations
- AVENGED SEVENFOLD – The Stage
- ROB ZOMBIE – Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser
- BRING ME THE HORIZON – That’s The Spirit
- KORN – The Serenity Of Suffering
- ANTHRAX – For All Kings
- KILLSWITCH ENGAGE – Incarnate
- RUSH – R40 Live
- CHEVELLE – The North Corridor
- THREE DOORS DOWN – Us And The Night
- ASKING ALEXANDRIA – The Black
- DREAM THEATER – The Astonishing
- VARIOUS ARTISTS – NOW That’s What I Call Power Ballads
- TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA – The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve
- HELLYEAH – Unden!able
- AMON AMARTH – Jomsviking
- IRON MAIDEN – The Book Of Souls
- GHOST – Popestar (EP)
- ALTER BRIDGE – The Last Hero
- SIXX: A.M. – Prayers For The Damned, Vol 1
- DEF LEPPARD – Def Leppard
- GHOST – Meloria
- COHEED AND CAMBRIA -The Color Before The Sun
- THRICE – To Be Everywhere Is Nowhere
- ISSUES – Headspace
- VARIOUS ARTISTS – 2016 Warped Tour Compiliation
- GOJIRA – Magma
- THE PRETTY RECKLESS – Who You Selling For
- BABYMETAL – Metal Resistance
- HALESTORM – Into The Wild Life
- BARONESS – Purple
- RED – Of Beauty And Rage
- CROWN THE EMPIRE – Retrograde
- MESHUGGAH – The Violent Sleep Of Reason
- ACE FREHLEY – Origins, Vol. 1
- I PREVAIL – Lifelines
- BEARTOOTH – Aggressive
- THOUSAND FOOT KRUTCH – Exhale
- HATEBREED – The Concrete Confessional
- DANCE GAVIN DANCE – Mothership